icon
1-Sir-Dudley-Digges-who-built-the-house-1616v2

Sir Dudley Digges (Father)

Sir Dudley Digges, the builder of the house, was its best-known owner. He was a pioneering entrepreneur, pursuing merchant adventuring to the limits of the known world, a fearless politician, not afraid to challenge even the King, a senior member of the judiciary and an author of several serious tomes on subjects of the day.

icon

Thomas Digges (Son)

In 1639 the Chilham Castle estate passed to Thomas Digges (Sir Dudley’s eldest son) who married Mary, daughter of Sir Maurice Abbott.

icon
2-John-Tradescant-the-elder

Leonard Digges (son)

Thomas bequeathed the estate to his only surviving son, Leonard Digges, who married Elizabeth Mary, daughter of Sir John Osbourne of Chicksand, Bedfordshire.

icon

John Digges (son)

In 1718, on Leonard’s death, Chilham passed to his eldest son, John Digges, Sir Dudley’s great-grandson

icon

Thomas Digges (brother)

On John’s death, childless, in 1720, the estate went to his brother Colonel Thomas Digges

icon
james-colebrooke-265x300

James Colebrooke (creditor and purchaser)

Thomas was not good with money and, having accumulated overwhelming debts, soon found himself forced to sell Chilham to his principal creditor, James Colebrooke, a wealthy and powerful banker from the City of London.

icon
Robert-Colebrooke-MP-243x300

Robert Colebrooke (son)

In 1752 on James’s death, (when he was reputedly worth £800,000) the estate passed to his son Robert Colebrooke

icon
Thomas Heron

Thomas Heron (purchaser)

He bought Chilham in 1774 (it must have amused him to acquire an estate with a centuries-old heronry).

icon
James-Wildman-owner-of-house-from-1794-249x300

James Wildman (purchaser)

In 1794, James Wildman, a Lancastrian from Barking Geat, near Ormskirk, prospered in Jamaica as agent for the fabulously wealthy William Beckford of Fonthill. Having bought from his master some land which he described as ‘waste’ upon which he built a sugar factory, Wildman had within 12 years become wealthy enough to buy Chilham. Apart from undocumented changes to the fenestration, he seems to have done little or nothing to the place – perhaps Heron’s expenditure made further expense unnecessary.

icon
15-James-Beckford-Wildman-Owner-1816-61-and-his-wife-Mary-Anne-Lushington-300x183

James Beckford Wildman (son)

In 1816, James’s son, James Beckford Wildman, inherited Chilham from his father with an annual spending income of £20,000

icon

Charles Hardy (purchaser)

In 1861, the estate was bought by Charles Hardy, of Low Moor Yorkshire, a Bradford iron-founder, whose father Sir John Hardy owned Dunstall Hall, Staffordshire. The family had done well in a short time – a recent ancestor had been a gardener.

icon
24-Col.-Charles-Stewart-Hardy

Charles Stewart Hardy (son)

The estate passed to the eldest son, Charles Stewart Hardy, (known as Stewart). Aged 28, a qualified lawyer, he became in due course Member of Parliament for Bradford, in the family’s former home county

icon

Charles Hardy (son)

Young Charles Hardy, his son, became owner of the estate, which at the time comprised 3,270 acres with 14 farms, 420 acres in hand and 650 acres of woodland. Over 60 dwellings – most of the village – were rented out or occupied by workers on the estate

icon
Edmund Davis

Edmund Davis (purchaser)

In 1918, Edmund Gabriel Davis bought what was left of the estate.

icon
29-Somerset-de-Chair-Owner-1944-9

Somerset de Chair (purchaser)

Somerset de Chair, politician, writer and collector of art and antiques, was drawn to Chilham by events, though ambition also played a part while he was here.

icon
30-Viscount-Massereene-and-Ferrard-Owner-1949-1992

Hon. John Skeffington (purchaser) (Viscount Massereene and Ferrard)

In 1949 Chilham was offered for sale by auction with its remaining 400 acres and bought by ‘Jock’ Skeffington for £94,000. With his wife Annabelle McNamara née Lewis, he lived there until his death in 1992.

icon

Viscount Massereene and Ferrard (son)

At Lord Massereene’s death, the property passed to his son

icon

Giorgiou Petrou (purchaser)

In 1997 the mansion and park were sold to Giorgiou Petrou

icon

Stuart & Tessa Wheeler (purchaser)

In 2002, the estate was purchased by Stuart & Tessa Wheeler. Who in 2003 started the restoration of the estate, starting with the garden.