Summary of Tour
During the tour you will see the forecourt and stables, have an outline of the medieval history of the house and hear about the changes to the garden & park. You will then enter via the front door to view the main hall, study, main staircase, morning room, library / card room, dining room, service corridor and swimming pool. Finally you will take a brief tour of the gardens taking in the bowling green, quiet garden, kitchen garden & gardeners’ yard and eventually leave via the main gate.
Raising funds for local parish churches Chilham, Badlesmere & Leaveland
Tours last about 3 hours in all. Groups of 25 to 30 – or coach parties up to 50. Tea and biscuits.
Minimum charge £100 per group
- Enter the grounds via the main gate for short introduction & warning about hazards & limitations on photography.
- Description of the various changes to the forecourt over the centuries including the 17th century stables which stood here for 200 years.
- Approach the house & circuit the outside, considering the historic changes & possible factors behind its unique design (including ancient mathematics, astronomy & William Shakespeare).
- On the back lawn, a (very) brief resumé of Chilham’s medieval history.
- Back at the garden door, at the end of the south wing, an outline account of changes to the garden & park – Colebrooke’s 18th century vistas & Hardy’s 19th century lake.
- Enter via front door to view hall, study, main staircase, morning room, library & card room.
- Dining room for tea & biscuits.
- Service corridor & Swimming Pool.
- Finally a brief tour of the gardens: bowling green, quiet garden, kitchen garden & gardeners’ yard, leaving by main gate.